Frequently Asked Questions
Foster Music Camps

"Graduating 8th Grade Students" - Which Camp Should I Attend?
Graduating 8th graders who are continuing into 9th grade have the option of attending Middle School Camp or High School Camp(or both). When deciding which is appropriate for your child please consider the following two questions:

1. Social Maturity - is the student ready for interaction with older students grades 9th-12th?

2. Music Maturity - is the students ready for more difficult musical literature? We suggest consulting your local music director for assistance with this question.

If you answered YES to both questions then more than likely High School Camp is the optimum choice. If you answered NO to either question, you may want to consider Middle School Camp. On average about half of the graduating 8th graders attending camp choose to attend Middle School Camp while the other half attend High School Camp.

We understand this can be a difficult decision so please feel free to email for further assistance if needed use this Contact Form


What are the Living Accommodations?

All campers will be housed in one of the Residence Halls on the Eastern Kentucky University Campus. Carefully selected counselors will be present at all times to supervise the activity of the students. Two students will be housed in each room. Roommates are assigned on the basis of age unless requests are made in advance of camp opening for a specific roommate. Changes in rooming assignments after the camp opens is discouraged. Each room is furnished with a small refrigerator and a telephone hookup jack. A touch tone telephone with a standard cord must be furnished by the camper to access the service. Collect telephone calls may be made from their rooms and students may be called in their rooms during certain hours. The Residence Hall will not be open before 12:00 noon on the opening days of each camping option and will close after 11:00 p.m. at the conclusion of each camp.

Can I Request a Roommate?
Students desiring to room with a specific person must request each other within at least one week prior to the opening of your camp option. Both persons desiring to room together must make the roommate request. You may indicate this information on your application.

What Meals are Served?
All meals are served cafeteria(all you can eat buffet) style at the Powell Student Center. Eastern Kentucky University Dining Services, provided by Aramark, maintains a consistently high quality of food and carefully balanced meals. The first meal for resident campers will be served on the evening of registration for camp. Students arriving before that time or staying after will be responsible for their own meals. Commuter campers receive lunch time meals only with their fees. Resident campers receive breakfast, lunch and dinner.

What if I need Medical Attention?
Medical attention for campers while at the Stephen Collins Foster Music Camp will be available from Baptist Health Richmond, our local hospital. A medical release form will be sent to each student prior to the opening of their camp option. On the form you will be asked for health insurance information and permission to treat your youngster should an emergency situation require such action while at camp. All campers must have the medical release form on file in order to attend camp.

What items need to be furnished by the student?
Please visit our Acceptance Packet page for specific information on what to bring for your particular camp.

Are there uniform or clothing restrictions?
No uniforms will be required for camp members for daily operation. Students are asked to wear clothing that is appropriate and that would fit into your average public school dress codes. Any camper wearing clothing deemed inappropriate by camp management will be asked to change immediately. Clothing for boys and girls should be of the sports-washable type. One or Two "dress-up" outfits for the final concerts and for other performances and recitals should be included. Shoes of any type may be worn for every day use. Camp is hosted on a Univeristy campus which requires more walking than most campers are acustomed to. Please wear comfortable walking shoes. Sandals each and everyday is not recommended. Washers and dryers are available in the Residence Hall for two week high school campers only. Additional information can be found through your camps specific Acceptance Packet .

Instruments and Music?
Larger, heavier instruments of the band and orchestra may be loaned by the University (for a nominal maintenance fee) but most students will be expected to bring their own instruments. Percussionists should plan on bringing their own sticks, wind performers reeds, mutes and other needed items. Students desiring to use EKU instruments should make arrangements in advance with the Camp Director, preferably two weeks prior to camp opening so you may be assured that the instrument you need is available.

Scholarship Assistance versus Financial Assistance
We have two forms of financial assistance that campers and their families may apply for.
1.)Scholarship Assistance is financial assistance given to a camper after they have submitted an audition recording to our camp office. The monies given are based upon musical ability and need for that particulat instrument/voice.

2.)Finanical Assistance is assistance given to famlies who wish to apply using our financial assistance form who are in need of funds in order for their child to attend camp. Campers may apply for both scholarship assistance and financial assistance if desired.

Are Cell Phones Permitted?
Yes, cell phones are permitted at camp, however, misuse of any such device(such as having it on during music rehearsals) may result in loss of cell phone privelages. We ecnourage campers to keep their phone as it makes communication between family and camper easier. See our Acceptance Packets for further information.

Is Interenet Access Available?
No. We do not provide, and will not provide, internet access for campers. Often students may have an internet plan through their personal cell phone which is allowed, however, we will not ask the University to setup LAN lines in dormitory rooms or provide wireless access. Wireless access is available throughout campus but requires a University login and password.

What are you waiting for...Join in on the fun and be a part of the tradition!